Youth Risk Behavior Survey Report
The Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) is a survey of health-risk behaviors conducted in middle and high schools every two years in Washington, DC and around the United States. The YRBS covers six topic areas including:
- Behaviors that contribute to unintentional injuries and violence
- Tobacco use
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Sexual risk behaviors
- Unhealthy dietary behaviors
- Physical inactivity
The Healthy Schools Act aims to help children and teens maintain a healthy weight by improving access to healthy fresh local foods, increasing the amounts of fruits, vegetables and whole grains offered in school meals and increasing the amounts of physical activity and health education in schools. To learn about the most recent report, click here.
Healthy Schools Act fact sheets (pdf):
- Why School Breakfast Matters
- All About the School Breakfast Program
- Breakfast Challenges and Solutions: Frequently Asked Questions
- Breakfast in the Classroom: Frequently Asked Questions for Teachers
School Breakfast Program
National School Lunch Program
Office of the State Superintendent of Education
- Physical Education and Health Education Requirements (pdf)
- Physical Education and Health Education FAQs
- Health and Physical Education Standards
D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation
Physical activity opportunities including access to recreation centers, fields, playgrounds, and other facilities as directed by the D.C. Healthy Schools Act to provide for schools.
Fuel Up to Play 60
A nutrition and physical activity program sponsored by the National Dairy Council and the National Football League; schools can apply for funding and incentives for making changes toward healthier eating and more activity.
Action for Healthy Kids
Offers free and low-cost programs and resources so that children in all schools get to learn about and engage in healthy eating and daily physical activity.
See resources under Physical Activity & Education above.
District Department of the Environment
School Garden Q&As policy memo (pdf)
District of Columbia Public Schools
DCPS Local Wellness Policy (pdf)
OSSE School Health Profiles